Friday, November 18, 2011

There but for fortune.


November 18, Ft Myers.

As my neighbor, Connie, was driving us to the farmer's market in downtown Ft Myers we came upon an old homeless man crossing a six-lane highway with a walker, one painstaking step at a time. We stopped and hoped others would do the same, then Connie drove around to come back and check on him, to see that he had made it safely to the other side, and he finally did, slowly, seemingly oblivious of the danger he was in every step of the way - talking with Connie about being grateful, reminded of the Joan Baez song, There but for Fortune, and I am grateful, for there but for fortune go I, risking my life for crossing the street, alone in the world, muttering to myself, adrift.
Reminded never to pass judgment, for there go I, but for the grace of my life - yet.

No comments: