Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day.


May 30, Olney.

My favorite lot and my favorite two-day stand of the whole season reaffirmed, even with the intense heat that came on.
My friend Nileeni and her husband came over to have breakfast with us this morning, our annual rendez-vous and another favorite. Last night we went shopping in the new mall down the street and the evening crowds flowed over the parking lot from the café next door, the summer holiday spirit with us, even though Memorial Day, like most other holidays, are work days in the circus.
The sponsor changed from the Rotary Club to the VFW here this year, and as I was taking out the recycling I got into a conversation with Janet Yinger and her husband, David, a veteran of World War II. He was recruited at the end of the war but never saw combat but rather was stationed in the South Pacific; this was right after the atomic bomb was dropped on Japan. Janet said she was envious of our traveling life; I said circus work was hard work but worth every drop of sweat under the roaming stars.
Here's to the men who saved my country, even if they were very far away from it.

No comments: