Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Things forgotten.


April 12, Redford.

Things of no particular interest I forgot to record along the way.
For the first week or so I was back I couldn't drive because my license had expired some time when I was in France. Radar drove, and be careful what you wish for: I used to fantasize about having a chauffeur for the morning drives, how perfect it would make my circus life, and I realized that it was driving by myself that I enjoyed the most, not watching the scenery. Sometimes you just need to be in the driver's seat.
Mountain Home, down in Arkansas, must be a good place to live despite its being in the middle of nowhere, because for a town of eleven thousand people there are two well-stocked health food stores doing excellent business if one can tell by several visits on a week end in the month of April. I knew of one store from previous years and was eager to go back to it for nowhere else on the whole circus season road can you find that heavenly roasted peanut butter, made fresh every day from their own bulk organic peanuts (you can do it yourself, too.) Another store I discovered thanks to a couple of organic farmers who were selling plants and produce at a stand downtown on Saturday (their farm is called Crossroads Gardens and it's got a web site.)
Finally, I am slowly getting reconciled with the motor home, its bathroom the size of a makeup cabinet, its office space competing for kitchen table inch footage, when it's not floor space, its bedroom (but I should say bed, as there is no bedroom, much to the point) rivaling a sideshow for privacy - especially on days when it's pouring rain outside just in time for the morning routine.
But I must be positive.

2 comments:

Susabelle said...

Mountain Home has a huge "new age"-type population. I have friends in that area, and friends from here in St. Louis who spend an awful lot of time down there. I haven't been, myself, but it's on my list of places to go!

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Thanks for sharing the information, Susabelle.
One of the things I set as a goal for the diaries this year is to gather information on the places we go through and better paint a picture of the America we see. My problem is that it's hard to do in one day with everything else going on, so followers' input will be invaluable.