Saturday, February 27, 2010

The program.


February 27, McAllen.

Now that I'm better I am trying to wrap up the Kelly Miller Circus 2010 program.
The good news is that we are so much earlier this year in putting it together; last year if I remember well it was April before anything hit the presses. The bad news is being sick and out of shutter shape I'm freaking out and feeling like a miserable failure every time I come back from the ring. I took a picture of Steve and Ryan the other day that sums it up nicely.
Today we did the group shot, my all-time favorite stress-maker, and it went much more smoothly than last year, not to mention the year before when I shot inside the tent and the result was predictably poor; third time's the charm.
On the home front here I can walk with the kids to the bookstore next door, our ritual of Thomas the Train Engine play with Dylan bringing me one book after another to read, a cookie thrown in for spice. Here as there we keep on reveling, not quite believing our luck, in Brian's royal treatment (he made shrimp pasta in an Alfredo sauce from scratch; it was to die for.) And we just enjoy the sun, and an ordinary circus life again, the routine of the shows, practice in the mornings, getting together at the cook house, fixing the trailer, the drone of the generator, getting to know your way around town, simple pleasures, circus life.

10 comments:

Tejano said...

Hola! Had the pleasure of catching your show tonight in McAllen. Excellent program for the whole family. Got to meet Friedman. Glad you are better and on dry ground.

Cinema67 said...

So glad to hear in your posting a much better person - health-wise.
I can read it in your posting.

Your last little paragraph makes me all the more jealous and kicking myself for not running away with the circus many a year ago.
Although I am very happy in my current life and arrangements - the thought of what it could have been is always in the back of my mind.

Cinema67 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Copeland said...

lol

Amy Marquez said...

I was just wondering if your circus is preforming in McAllen tomorrow as well. If so what are the times? Thanks!

Mary Hockenbery said...

wonderful photo

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Heh thanks everybody.
And yes we are playing today, Sunday, as every day... Believe it's 3, 6 and 8:30PM.

Harry Kingston said...

Valerie,
Glad you are feeling better and back to normal with the blog.
Thanks again for keeping us up on what is going on on the big show.
Let us know when the new program is ready as I want 10 of them or maybe more.
Harry in Texas

Circus Photos said...

Hello,
Do you know if there a program from last year still around? I like to have one. please let me know. will this year be out by may.
Thanks

Valérie Berta Torales said...

We ran out of last year's programs some time in September... Hopefully this year they will order enough to last the whole season.