Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two good clowns.



February 16, Los Fresnos.

I started shooting for the 2009 program today, wanting to make up for last year's karma. The clowns were an obvious choice because they're usually the easiest thing to capture.
They are Steve Copeland and Ryan Combs and they make me laugh.
I don't like clowns and only one has really made me laugh out loud in the past: Guennadi Tregoub, Chimera's artistic director of many years. (Our friend Genia did too, but his was a different kind of act, relying more on poetry than pure comic punch.)
They make me laugh.
Theirs is a slapstick, hit-in-the-face kind of humor, in the time-honored tradition of my childhood hero, Charlie Chaplin, and this seemingly effortless art is one of the hardest to pull off without falling into vulgarity or tired repetition.
They make me laugh.
Just saying that is everything.

2 comments:

Jerald said...

Hi -

did you know the clowns have their own blog?

http://steveandryan.blogspot.com/

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Yes I did, and it'll give you lots of detailed and personal info you won't find anywhere else...