Friday, October 03, 2008

Home sweet home at last?


October 3, Eureka.

Today I bought my first home. Better late than never.
It was a long time coming - the process started back in late May, derailed three times because of bureaucratic hassles, but mostly a lifetime of taking in the world ruled out any thought of ever settling down.
The house was built in 1927, it survived a century worth of hurricanes, it's small and quaint and sits on a large, overgrown lot, it needs everything and a new roof, and it's ours. It was a fluke, it was love at first sight. It's just south of downtown in Fort Myers, Florida, where I looked online after an NPR story on Lee County coming first in the country in the number of foreclosures and cheap homes for sale. It cost less than most people's down payments, and it isn't the house I saw in the picture on the internet anyway but the trees and all that lush green, my tropical paradise.
I've never been in Fort Myers, I've never seen the house, my Dad would kill me were he still alive, but then what would he have said about his only daughter running away with the circus?

3 comments:

beverly said...

Dearest Valerie, Fridman, Dylan and Mingo CONGRATULATIONS on your new home. But alas oh so far away. How wonderful a large overgrown yard to explore and play in. Fridman can do anything so a new roof he can do. To start with a clean slate -work- but ones own individual designs how fun. A yard for kids and kitties? Please post photos from the first time you see it until its done. Love/hugs Beverly and Bob

guido said...

Congrats? When do you get to see it in person? And use it?

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Hey Guido!
Sorry I missed you in Jax, it was too short.
Hopefully we'll go at the end of the season and see it in person - yikes.
Thanks, Beverly, and yes, good idea, I'll post the "before and after" a la reality show... unless a hurricane finally gets it before we do.