Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Swoons.


September 23, Kingston.

The news is so big I simply forgot about it: Dylan was toilet trained in a week.
No crisis, no struggles, no cries, no drama - no more diapers. It all happened a couple of weeks ago, and was done before I realized it. Of course I'm swooning over my Dylan and his big boy behavior, but mostly I'm reminded that when it comes to child rearing you're better off not listening to too many pieces of advice and not reading too many books as they are likely to just add to your stress level by anticipation without so much as getting close to your reality.
I'm the one who didn't catch up; a week exactly after taking him off diapers we went shopping and suddenly he's saying "Maman, pipi!" and I'm scrambling to find a restroom, half mad at myself for the lapse, half oh so proud of him in the face of it. A few days earlier he'd woken me up in a panic in the middle of the night, I'd forgotten the diaper, and he didn't wet himself either.
Swooning.
Only one left in diapers then, and soon it'll be back to cloth diapers again, thankfully, or as soon as I find myself with a washing machine at hand and a little bit more legroom.

1 comment:

beverly said...

Hi All, Congrats to Dylan and you. I agree about reading and listening too much to the "experts". It will happen when it happens as it did for Dylan. We are fine. Margarets daughter Shannon had her baby girl this morning around 8. 7+pounds 20 inches long. Margaret already had ordered a Playland shirt with her name on it. Our kitties are fine. The last one finally has a name Princess since she was the hardest to befriend. I try to avoid the news. How has the circus been doing in these troubled times? Don't know what the future will bring for this country. But as usual the people pay for others mistakes and greed. Wish we were there to visit and help with the trailer leaks. Playland is planning to be a Haunted Museum for 6 nights in October and a Winter Wonderland for 3 Sundays in December. THought about you last Sunday when we were at the Solano Stroll. I think Dylan and Mingo would have enjoyed it. But I will admit that it is becomming way too crowded. We were there early because we brought the Playland booth but in a short time it was so crowded. Last Sunday was the El Sobrante Stroll much smaller and in some ways nicer. We think of you all and miss our times together and seeing the kids grow. Hugs and Kisses to you all. Love Beverly/Bob