Thursday, August 07, 2008

Coincidences.

August 6, Gibsonburg.

The town of Gibsonburg (founded by William H. Gibson in 1880, 40 acres he and two pals divided into lots) acquired Williams Park in 1914 from the Ohio and West Lime Company. The park is 16 square miles and was built on one of the company's quarry. A sculpture path winds around it, with contemporary pieces from mostly Ohio artists, and before that a "Reflection Point," a bench surrounded by a fence and looking out on a pond. On the bench there is a plaque that reads: "Dedicated to all those whose lives have been touched by cancer/August 2005." The bench looks directly across the pond to a tank (the tank belongs to the Northcoast Veterans Museum, I found out as I reached the other side.) I don't know which one came first, or of the effect is intentional.
I just finished reading a book on cancer called Anti-Cancer, by David Servan-Schreiber, about the role of food, chemicals and the Western way of life in general in the dramatic rise of cancers in the second part of the twentieth century, and how to fight cancer using food and changing one's lifestyle, a gift from my mother I had neglected, thinking why would I read something about cancer when I'm perfectly healthy?
I will never look at food in quite the same way again. Healthy all my life thanks to a Mediterranean diet (and my Mom,) a vegetarian and organic fanatic for many years, and increasingly conscious of the harmful effects of processed food and of chemicals since the birth of my children but that book was the final push. Out went soybean (and most likely in the U.S., GMO soybean) cooking oil, bags after bags of processed chocolate chips cookies (my addiction, an American friend of my parents dubbed me the Cookie Monster when I was staying with them, I was nineteen; suddenly they tasted nasty) and bottles of self-tanning lotion (always loathed my oh-why-so-white legs, vanity, all is vanity, now with the bonus of broken capillaries, hello middle age;) back in with a vengeance came the green tea I couldn't drink while pregnant then breast-feeding. Fridman is watching, and he smiles, another drastic reform in the household, those books she reads, juicy steaks a more remote possibility than ever.

2 comments:

beverly said...

HI, Loved the stuff about healthy eating. Bob and I have been eating healthier and have lost some weight. Our frig is full of fresh veggies and fruit. He got a book on Persian cooking so that is what he is trying now. I Don't eat bread but have substituted crackers so don't know if that is an inprovement. No more peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. Margarets daughter Shannon is haviang a baby in September and Margaret is having a shower at the Hilltop Chevys. I have been accumulating stuff some tasteful and some not. Girls only so no BOb. Maybe she will make an exception for Frank. You are doing the right thing at least starting Dylan and Peanut off with healthy eating. So much temptations from TV, magazines other people hard to keep a healthy diet. Playland is still open. Apparently both days this weekend. We haven't committed to being there but will probably. Most of the regulars are on mini vacations. Sorry to hear Peanut is ill. Miss you all. Love hug kisses Beverly and Bob

Valérie Berta Torales said...

Hey ya'll,
Fridman and I are still laughing at your note (the part on the girlie shower.)
Peanut is good, both of them are now, thanks for your concern, I'm sure they'd send kisses if they could.
Say hello to everyone at Playland, and kiss the kitties for me too.