Saturday, June 02, 2007

Balancing acts.

June 2, Santa Rosa.

There were trailers parked in the wrong place near the tent when I woke up this morning. I knew the new group of performers Roy had mentioned had arrived. Not sure what they do, it seems there are the trappings of a pendulum act packed on a trailer behind one of the motor homes. The pendulum act consists of someone trying to maintain his or her balance on a gigantic wheel as it turns and there perched executing an array of additional acrobatic figures ranging from rope jumping with a blind on to juggling, with or without the blind, depending on the performer's number of hours practicing.
More additions to the circus then, after the Fusco family from Argentina came over two weeks ago. The Fuscos are the family of Gabriela Cubillos, the acrobat who works with her husband in the chiffon act (he does contortion and juggling as well.) They perform an act called malambo, which involves much loud beating of drums and a sort of rope handling that reminds me of the cowboys I used to see covering rodeos for small town newspapers.
I'm hoping some day I'll have the time get the two monsters somehow fit and ready at the same time, and then I'll get out of the trailer, balance one on my back and the other on my belly and go try and see the show.

No comments: