Friday, May 25, 2007

Dark fog.

May 25, Novato, California..

I'd forgotten how it feels to travel for several hours at night with the circus. Or maybe I'd never done it while caring for two babies.
Last night the circus moved from Scotts Valley, near Santa Cruz, to Novato, a town some 20 miles north of San Francisco. We drove right through the city; tractor-trailers careening along the up-and-downhill streets of San Francisco, mercifully late enough that traffic was not a problem, on to the star of bridges. The Golden Gate bridge was enshrouded in fog, not unusual but very beautiful.
We arrived short of three in the morning and Nicolas woke up on cue. The trailer was a mess after its maiden trip, a teapot and mugs broken after a rotten highway, too many a pothole taken at 65 miles an hour.
Today my back aches and I have trouble keeping my eyes open. So what else is new?

No comments: