Sunday, February 18, 2007

Showers (not that kind.)

Feb. 15, McAllen.

This afternoon I was getting to go out when Fridman told me they needed me in the tent for pictures. So out I went, the whole lengthy routine of dressing Dylan up, putting his shoes on, putting him in the backpack carrier, struggling to my feet and into my own shoes with 22 pounds on my back and some ten pulling me down on the other side (I'm eight-month pregnant today,) I stepped into the tent and... "felicidades!" they all chanted, all the women of Circus Chimera, gathered to surprise me with a baby shower.
They'd planned it all, brought in a table to put all the gifts on, bags and bags full of presents, they'd bought a cake, they'd enlisted Fridman's help, they'd planned it all, and they gave me my first baby shower, a baby shower I'd never even thought of getting as it's only a tradition in this country, as far as I know (the rest of us are really missing out, here, I've realized today.)
When I got back to the trailer it took me almost an hour to unpack, unhook, untape all the baby clothes and accessories.

No comments: